Friday, February 15, 2008

Could This Be Why I'm Here?

I just found out about this. This was not even 24hrs ago! For those that don't understand the significance, NIU (Northern Illinois University) was the school I would have been at last fall and this spring.

"MOST RECENT NEWS: 4 students at NIU have been confirmed to be killed from gunshot wounds. It is not known yet whether or not they were the ones critically wounded.On February 14, 2008 a lone, unknown gunman entered into a classroom in Cole hall near the center of the campus and began shooting with two handguns and one shotgun. 19 people were shot, including the gunman, 4 were critically wounded, 14 were not critically wounded but were still transported to the hospital. 1 was killed, that was the gunman who took his own life.The gunman has been identified, but his name is not going to be released publicly. It has been confirmed that he was not a student at the university.There are several hotlines that are available to anyone who wants to know the current situation of the college.815-753-1573 815-753-1574 815-753-1575 815-753-6143 815-753-6257 815-753-9564Continue to pray for the families. I will continue to update the information as it comes in."

I wonder if I could have been one of those 19. Perhaps God knows better than I do!

On an administrative note, It'll be a while before I get an address. Once I have it, I'll let you know, but it will not be posted online. You must contact my family or my church for the address. Once I have an address, feel free to send a disposable camera, I'll fill it with pictures and send it back!

Out

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I heard about NIU yesterday, I almost immediately thought about you NOT being there! So many individuals, myself included, didn't want you to leave, but it was part of God's plan. Who knows what would have happened had you been at NIU? God is sovereign! His way is best, though at the time it may not seem so. Praying for you. Caleb.

PS Does your phone work? If so, I'll give you a call sometime.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what we thought when we saw the news yesterday about NIU. Who knew that you would be safer where you are than at college. God knew! It just goes to show you (all of us) that God's plan is perfect...we just have to trust and believe and rest in His plan. I know I need reminded of that daily. We are glad that you chose to follow His will. Prayin' for you bro!

Anonymous said...

Ditto! Caleb & Bree worded it better than I could have :)
Praise God you weren't there!

I messaged Anna about an address a few days ago, as I figured that you obviously wouldn't post it in your blog. :)
Let us know if you need anything specifically that we can send as well (whenever you have an address). We are all praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Jason, they all took the words right out of my mouth........my thoughts exactly when I heard it on the news. As e,b, and baby j said, Who would have thought you would be safer where you are!

Not much new around here. They say there is a big storm coming, ice and snow. I just came in from running the snow blower just to do a little clean up. Still not back to work. Having doc/insurance co. issues now over a test he wants me to have and the ins. co. says it's not nec. Soon I will be out of paid benefits. I am supposed to be updated this week to find out what my options are when that happens. (I'm not sure if it will be selling apples or pencils!)

You are a lucky man to have so many wonderful people thinking and praying for you. God bless and love, Aunt Susan

Anonymous said...

When I heard about the NIU incident, I went downstairs to tell Mom about it..."Hey Mom, wanna hear something ironic?" (Very sad yes, but ironic nonetheless.) At least while you're over there, you're armed to the teeth with buddies to back you up! Don't know if you heard, but Aaron Schock is running for state rep (Ray LaHood's seat I think) and part of his platform is passing "Conceal Carry" in Illinois. We're 1 of 2 states in the *entire* nation that doesn't have CC yet...darned Chicago.
In other news...26 days til my wedding! Things will start getting hectic in the next week as we tie up loose ends and start packing up all our stuff for moving.
Btw, did you hear Ben skiied this year? Ask him about it next time you call.

Love you and miss you!