Saturday, December 15, 2007

Feeling Fobbish

6 days and a wakeup! Only 6 full days left!

Word has it that we will be completing our 7k road march on the 22nd. It's going to be a LOOOOOONG day. Up at 0400 or 0430, walk 4.375 miles with about 60lbs of gear, probably in the snow, up hill, both ways. Actually, our 5k march was in the snow, with a sand base. Then we'll travel to the airport, likely taking 1-2hrs, pass through security...................5hrs later, get on the plane, drive from the airport to home. Probably pretty late. But then, the next day, I'm back at my home church! Oh, it's so close, I can almost taste it!

The past few days, we've been training on patrols. We've been using blanks for training, and I'm disappointed because I haven't had anything to shoot at! I've got 400+ rounds to fire and I've only shot 3! Speaking of weaponry (sp?), I went to the range, on perhaps the worst day, weatherwise, possible. It was foggy and rainy. It was in the mid 30s to lower 40s and it rained and rained and rained. When it let up for a bit, it was still a drizzle. I couldn't see any targets past 150m, and there were targets out to 400m! I managed to hit them anyway. Just send enough bullets in the general direction and you'll hit something! But laying there in the mud and sand with cold rain falling, wow! I was soaked like I jumped in a pool. It was crazy. That was a bad day.

Supposedly, the rest of our time here is going to be crazy busy. Like, up at 0430, asleep by 2300. 4:30am and 11:00pm to you civilians. 5 and a half hours a night. Ya, I'll be getting some sleep when I get back.

Anywho, 6 days and a wakeup!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's crazy! who would want to walk that far with 60lbs on their back? I wouldn't even make a single step, I'd pass out. I'm weak.
Glad that you get to come home for awhile! I'm sure your family is getting really excited to see you! :)

Anonymous said...

I randomly decided to check my xanga account after not checking it for 6 months. :) and I saw your post that you had moved to blogger as well.

Ivory is good! She is 7 months in 2 days! She has a blog too,
ivoryjune.blogspot.com
Lots of pictures :)

How are you doing?

Stephen Bock said...

If it makes your feel any better, on Saturday I push snow for 13 hours. Total mileage was around 15 miles.

Anonymous said...

Heya...we're missing you! We're making Christmas cookies this week!

Juliet Alpha Sierra Oscar November said...

Ahh, Stephen, but you got paid extra by pushing snow. I get paid the same to sleep that I do to walk 7k. :)