Monday, June 30, 2008

Being A Nerd....Blessing AND a Curse!

So I am officially banned "until further notice" from the local internet cafe. This is kinda a funny story in retrospect.

So first off, when the cafe opened, I brought my laptop in so I could use one of their lines to connect my laptop. Some of the other cafes here allow you to so I figured I'd find out. I read the rules and it wasn't mentioned anywhere. So I proceeded to plug and play. I did this on several occasions (3-4 at least) and not only did the attendant NOT tell me I couldn't do it, he even asked me once if I could move to another spot because the computer in that other spot wasn't working but the line was....that way, I wasn't using up a computer that someone else could be using.

Then one night, I was using their computers because I didn't feel like grabbing my laptop. They were having trouble with the internet. (warning, geek speak to follow). I pulled up command prompt and ran ipconfig. It's a tool to show you if your computer is connecting properly or not. I noticed an issue with the numbers relating to the settings they were configuring. I pulled up internet explorer and logged into the router they were configuring (still on default password...lol) and confirmed that the setting were infact set incorrectly. I told informed them that the settings should be changed....but forgot to close the window before they looked over. They thought I had logged in and changed them in order to screw things up. It's like being found in a bank vault with a gun and trying to explain to the police that you forgot you had the gun on you and got lost looking for the bathroom. As true as it may be, circumstantial evidence makes you guilty. Thus, I got kicked out for "using command prompt and plugging in your own laptop".

I'll take the punishment for poking around where I shouldn't have, but the part about bringing my own computer, they should have informed me first! I was told that there's now a sign posted in there that bringing your own computer is not authorized. HAHA! That sign's for me! It's like a memorial to my former presence! In the mean time, I found another place that I can use my own computer. I can finally download podcasts and windows updates. Hooah!

Laters,
JP Out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You geek/nerd/whatever...
So, I have no idea what you're up to these days. I keep asking the family and they never share anything. Sorry about not participating in the brownie thing..I feel like I've been gone most of June when in reality it was only 10 days (to Colorado for honeymoon.)
My latest kick is serious budgeting, couponing and selling our old stuff via garage sale - we're gonna do it one more time, making it the 4th day we've sold stuff. Made over $500 so far!
Give us a call sometime if you can! I miss you!