Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Classes.....sigh

So inevitably, the question arises, "How are classes going?"

All things considered, not too bad. I'm still waiting on my book for Calculus, so I've been borrowing the book for homework, forcing me to cram all homework and studying into a 1 day time span. I'm actually not doing to bad, in spite of this. It's hard, but doable. My marketing course is rather laid back and it's pretty easy as well. I have a course that deals with energy and it's effect on the environment.....kinda boring, but not super difficult....then there's physics....

I think I may be the only one in the class that is taking it without taking Calculus first. The book, and the teacher, both come at it from a prospective of...."you remember how to do this from Calculus, right? Well, we're going to add onto that concept." Meanwhile, the original concept is something we'll learn in the Calc class in about 2-3 weeks. So studying for Physics consists of pouring over Google for calculus concepts (since I don't have my calc book) and learning it from wherever I can find the info. (Including Wikipedia).

I've done math problems with letters before, but usually the answer is some sort of number. It's crazy when the problem AND the answer is entirely letters. We're dealing with vectors now, and the symbol for a horizontal vector is pronounced, "i hat". You know, like if Apple made a headcovering. The vertical vector is "j hat" which is the Jesus version of the "i hat" (see video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRiijctGcAY). The vector that deals with depth is known as "k hat", which I don't have an alternative meaning for that. My point is, I still find it odd, and slightly funny, when the teacher says, "the direction the object moved is 30.0 meteres in the i hat and 45.0 meters in the j hat".

Anywho, that's how classes are going! Hope you all are having a great day, and I'll talk at ya later!

JP OUT!

No comments: