Tuesday, September 16, 2008

All I Want To Do-oo-oo-ooo.......

......is get that song out of my head!!!!

Quick tidbit about the Army. There are exactly two genres of music that the average military personnel listen to......country and rap. Over here in Iraq, there are three English radio stations. One plays country, and two play rap. The rest are all Arabic. Thus, whenever I'm in a vehicle with a radio (not my vehicle, btw), it's country or rap, more often, country.

Those who know me, know that I don't like most country or rap. And even though all Arabic music sounds the same, there still manages to be more variety between songs than either of the English alternatives. Ok, my girlfriend has been educating me on country, and I'm actually starting to get country.....just a little bit.

But then, once I get to the point where I think not all hope is lost in country music, a song like this comes along. I kid you not, this is the chorus....

"All I want to do-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo, All I want to do-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo is love you"

The song is by Sugarland and it's currently the number one country hit. Sigh.......they just made the word DO 18 syllables long and take 20 seconds (yes, I timed it) to say something that really only takes 3-5 seconds to say. I mean, I understand.....the words are highly poetic, contain unique and intelligent words, and very original. *rolls eyes*. The verses aren't much better. This song embodies within itself, all that I hate in country music.......and it's the number 1 song! Country music fans, you're really hurting your stereotype in voting this song to be number 1!

In the mean time, I've heard a couple other songs that aren't half bad. I actually bought a Keith Urban cd, and liked it. I heard a song by Garth Brooks (I may be wrong on that) called "Just Put A Girl In It", talking about how sometimes life seems boring......ya just gotta put a girl in it.

Country music fans, there is hope! But someone's gotta teach Sugarland how to write songs!

JP OUT!

P.S. This song was NOT the source of my headache, which is gone now, btw!

4 comments:

None said...

LOL. I love it when you make fun of country. You put it in ways that I cannot express. :)

Anonymous said...

hey hey please what what you say, for you may make your country
fan(s) mad....
natalie

Anonymous said...

amen! a good country song is a rare find and the ones I tend to like are always more pop or alternative than country - go figure.

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with that song but LOVE country........glad to hear you are getting some exposure to it.........what can possibly be wrong with a love for GOD, country, and family and the military??? Once you find the good ones you will have to turn your sister on to them!
God bless,
Aunt Susan